Sunday, August 8, 2010

Crochet Freeform Beach Dress Coverup

My “Catch of the Bay” Beach Dress was born on twin beaches in Puerta Vallarta and is a project I am most proud of.


I began with no rythm or reason for the finished project. I just began making freeform motifs out of all sorts of thread scraps I had brought with me.

Once I had 5 or 6 Motifs, I started crocheting around them and joining them with a neutral thread called linen by aunt lydia.

The effect was so perfect and “beachy” looking, I decided I would make a pareo hip wrap. Once the piece was big enough to loosely fit around my hips, I decided why not keep going and work this into a beach coverup dress.

I was in Puerta Vallarta for a month…part business, and a lot just for SUN and FUN. I finished the dress a few days before leaving and actually got to wear it. I have never had so many compliments in my life.
Women and teenagers were coming up to me on the beach asking where I got it.

I have since delivered 4 custom orders at a whopping $400 dollars each. The most I have ever received for a finished item.

I am now making freeform pareos, (my original idea) and getting orders from boutique shops everywhere.
Who Knew?

No comments: